Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Can a cat use the computer?

Do your cats “help” you on the computer? Mine do. Here are some things they have actually done when I wasn’t looking:

Performed a Shut Down
Restarted the computer
Sent folders to the Recycle Bin
Deleted files and folders, somehow bypassing the Recycle Bin
Turned on the Key Filter (hold down the Right Shift key for 8 seconds)
Locked the Desktop
Turned on the Caps Lock
Opened multiple windows
Sent an email before I was done with it.
Erased an email while I was still writing it!

It finally dawned on me that I have one very easy option to protect myself, other than doing a Shut Down every time I need to walk away from my desk. And it was one of the things they had done to ME. Other than Logging Off, you can also do a much faster function: Lock the Desktop. Just press the Windows function key plus the letter L. When you get back, just mouse click the user button. It’s much like logging on, but it’s faster, because there is no actual login (because you didn’t log off), which can take a few minutes.

No comments: